Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 8, 2011

I know … it’s been a while … here goes

Disneyland …
                        The weekend of 3/19-20/2011, in honor of my wife’s birthday (I won’t say which one), we went to LA.  We left San Diego very early Saturday morning and arrived at Disneyland right after the gates opened.  We had already purchased 2-day park-hopper passes online, so we didn’t have to wait in a ticket booth line.
            We met our son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandkids at a coffee shop inside the park.  The weather looked threatening in the morning, so the crowds were lighter than usual.  The first rides we all went on only had 10 minute lines.  Those were two of our all time favorites:  Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion.  After those we had breakfast at a small café near there.  Very good food and reasonably priced, considering where we were.
            We saw the revitalized Captain EO.  Michael Jackson before his life started to deteriorate.  It is still an excellent show and well worth taking the time to see.  Unfortunately, the updated Star Tours had not opened yet and Splash Mountain was closed for maintenance (two of my personal favorites).
            The Main Street Emporium was getting a face lift (a new facade).  Saturday it was completely covered by a artists rendering on canvas of the new look.  They took down the canvas on Sunday, probably because of the gusting wind, and we got a look at the actual construction, which appeared to be almost done.
            After staying overnight at the Embassy Suites near the John Wayne Airport in Irvine, on Sunday morning we drove back up to Anaheim.  First Bonnie and I went back to Disneyland to catch a few things we missed on Saturday.
            Between the Main Street Train Station and Main Street, opposite the lost & found, is the hall of history and Moments with Mr. Lincoln theater.  We had not seen this in about 10 years.  I still can’t leave that theater without having to wipe tears from my eyes.  Keep On Dreaming, America !
            I remember Disneyland as it was back in 1955-1956.  The biggest attractions in Tomorrow Land were the House of Tomorrow and Mission to the Moon, which later became Mission to Mars after we actually went to the moon.<G>
            The big attractions in Adventure Land were The Enchanted Tiki Hut and The Jungle Cruise.  They are timeless and still there.  We went to both of them Sunday morning.  Later came the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House.  For reasons I, personally, don’t understand, it’s been renamed Tarzan’s Tree House.
            I think the only thing left of the original Fantasy Land is the entrance, Sleeping Beauty Castle, and the Merry-go-round.  The rides may have changed but the area still has that feel of “childhood revisited.”
            I don’t remember much about Frontier Land.  I do remember the Mine Train (slow) which was replaced by Thunder Mountain (fast).  The Frontier Land Shooting Gallery is now Frontier Land shooting Exposition.  Name change for it’s own sake?
            About Noon we went over to the second park, Disney’s California Adventure.  It was rainy, cold and very windy.  There is a lot of construction going on and many areas are blocked off.  By the time we got over there, in spite of the weather, most of the rides had long lines. We just wandered around for a while, had some chowder on the “Wharf” and about 3 O’Clock headed for the barn (home, to you city slickers).
            All-in-all a pretty nice trip.  Eric and family bought Bonnie a nice lanyard (I think that’s what they call it) and some Disney Pins to give her a start on “trading.”  That’s the latest Disney thing.  I believe, so I wouldn’t feel left out, Elle gave me a Jessica Rabbit pin from her collection and I promptly put it on my hat.  When we got home I also put the Mater and Grumpy pins, given me by Bonnie some time back, on the hat.  I don’t think I’ll ever trade those three.

            I’m beginning(?) to ramble so I’ll go now,

            Red.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you and Bonnie had a wonderful weekend celebrating her birthday!

    The very first time I took Elaine to Disneyland was the weekend of the Captain EO grand opening. You brought back some memories for this mom. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete