Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dog - Man’s Best Friend? Or A Link To …?


<<<I use the masculine pronouns “man” and “he” just to make it easier to write>>>

Why is it that most dogs are better people than most people?  It can’t just be loyalty, unconditional love, craving our company, or a willingness to forgive the stupid, unthinking way we treat them sometimes.
There has to be something more.  Some spark of devine guidance only the canine species is endowed with.

Could it just be coincidence that the names dog and God are so similar?  Maybe the original biblical translation was wrong and dog, not man, was the one made in God’s Image?  I’ve asked God about this and He just seems to give me a wink and a little smile.  He doesn’t seem to be offended by the comparison, either.

Dogs are messengers of God.  God's word is not accidental or happenstance.  The writers God chose to communicate His message were inspired divinely to write what they wrote, as they wrote it.  It is no accident there are 40 references in The Bible to dogs.
Dogs are messengers of God in that "dog" specifically and purposefully was selected through divine inspiration to communicate the full measure of God through the context of the 40 Scriptural references or citations in The Bible. Whether Hebrew (kelev), Greek (kuōn), or Aramaic (kalbā), whether literal, metaphorical, or allegorical in syntax, in the context of communicating God's word, dogs are messengers of God.*

W. C. Fields said:  “I never met a man I didn’t like.”
I say:  “I never met a dog I didn’t like.”  “The more dogs I meet, the less I like people. ”

Occasionally, I’ve met a dog who didn’t like me.
Maybe I smelled wrong or looked wrong or sounded wrong.
Maybe I violated his space, uninvited.
Maybe I reminded him of someone who abused him or someone he … just … didn’t … like.
In any case, we just agreed to take diverging paths.

Don’t get me wrong.  Other pets are OK.
Cats come in, eat, and want to go right back out.  Sometimes they will tolerate attention, but, not for long.  They do know how to say goodby:  Tail up and back turned.
Birds sit in a cage, squawk, eat, make a mess all over the floor, and stare at you with one eye.
Rodents can be trained to eat on cue … ?
Fish are …………….. well ……………. fish.
Reptiles are ………… we won’t even go there.
A dog, on the other hand, loves to play with you.  Mountain or beach, backyard or park, with or without toys (toys do make it more fun).
Dogs like to hunt.  Some even like to fish. Although, at times, their patience can be a little scarce.
A dog will, sometimes, be content just to lay his head, or maybe his whole body, on your lap.
The later you get home, the happier he is to see you.
He thinks the best bed for him is that pile of your dirty clothes at the foot of your bed.
When you are ill or recuperating, he will steadfastly stay by your side until you recover.
Dogs have been known to accompany their master’s casket until it’s put in the grave.

A dog doesn’t ask for much.  Food and water, a bath now and then, scritchies behind the ears or down the nose, a loving word, or sometimes just the simple touch of your hand.  Warning:  some dogs resist the bath part.

According to the Bible**, a man is given seventy to eighty years.
A dog is given considerably less.  I think that is so a man can experience the thrill of companionship from more than one dog in his lifetime.

Mark Twain said:  “If dogs don’t go to heaven, I want to go where they go.”

I’m with you there Mr Clemens.



**  Psalm 90:10   The days of our lives are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, Red, this is so good! I was stopping strangers walking their dogs today so I could get my "fur fix" while we're traveling. They give so much more than they ask, Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sheila Yes they do, don't they. I love the term "fur fix".

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sheila I'm happy to have touched a place in someone's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for this wonderful reminder. Dogs are a perfect model of obedience, gratitude, praise, and faith.

    ReplyDelete