Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 24, 2011

END OF AN ERA

Well ... it feels like the end of an era, anyway.

Saturday our second-born son came over and I gave him my tool box and tools.

35 years as an auto mechanic … fixing cars every day, 6 days a week.

I stopped turning wrenches about 5 years ago and since then that box full of tools has been in a shed in the back yard.  The only time any of the tools came out was when Eric needed to work on one of his cars in our driveway.

The box, with side cabs and all the other attachments, had become a condo.  It was so heavy and hard to handle, we had to disassemble it and remove all the drawers to get it in his truck.

I never realized how hard letting go was going to be.  I went through the drawers, picking out tools I wanted to keep here at the house and discovered I was holding on to things I didn’t really need.  It was like saying good-bye to old friends.

I’m going to go drown my sorrows in a bowl of ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Oh...it can be hard to let go of those memories, can't it?

    I'm sure Eric will put them to good use. That's legacy, you know...

    ReplyDelete