Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Review: Spencer’s Restaurant in Palm Springs


The following is the review my wife wrote on the Open Table site.

“I tried to make a careful and informed choice for a restaurant for my husband and me to celebrate my birthday. Spencer's received many positive reviews for both food and atmosphere, which was frequently described as romantic.

My first mistake, I believe, was agreeing to take an inside table. To me it did not provide the special feeling I was looking for. If I go there again I will wait for an outside table to be available.

At a restaurant described as perfect for couples and romantic, I did not expect to have a family with children seated less than two feet away. It is probably just my expectations that made the experience more negative than it ordinarily would have been.

Food and drink was a little more positive.

I had mushroom risotto with grilled shrimp. I enjoyed it as a very good dish but not outstanding. My husband had a steak with a baked potato which he enjoyed but again not outstanding. For an up-scale restaurant, the presentation on the plate was very dull. The service was excellent. Not rushed, but with a feeling being able to relax rather than being slow.”

**************************************

I was less impressed with the whole experience than my wife.

Quiet?  No.

Romantic?  Not really.

I thought the service was slow.
Our drinks took so long, I thought the bar was several blocks away.

Directly over my wife’s head was a mirror wall which gave me
a great(?) view of the kitchen doors.  It took so long to get our
dinner, every time a server came out the doors I found myself
praying it was our food.
That’s very distracting when you’re having drinks and dinner
with a beautiful lady.

My steak was tender and perfectly cooked, but, the
presentation would have given Chef Ramsey apoplexy.

My wife, being the very generous person she is, gave them
3 stars.

I would probably say closer to 2.

JMNSHO

0 comments:

Post a Comment